Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

1. I love boxes--of all sizes, colors, decorations. I think I have this fantasy of being able to organize every little knick-knack I own into boxes. Does this say something fundamentally deeper about me???

2. But I actually don't like knick-knacks. I hate clutter. It makes me cringe.

3. I am a lover of travel, and have managed to do a good bit of it. I've been to: England, Scotland, Ecuador, Mexico, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, The Netherlands, Grand Caymen, Haiti, Jamaica, and a bunch of U.S. spots too. I can't pick a favorite though--it depends on my mood.

4. I have always thought that if there were a tragedy and I lost the people I loved, that I would sell all my belongings and go live in Ecuador in the middle of the rainforest. It was the one place in my travels that calmed my heart to a complete AHHH...

5. I am half granola and half yuppie. I like wine bars and I like hiking in the woods.

6. I LOVE books--mostly fiction, but some nonfiction too. My favorite book is probably Life of Pi. I have read it over and over again and can always find something new in it.

7. I am madly, deeply, utterly thankful to have married my husband. He actually does complete me.

8. I have been playing the piano since I was 8. I cannot imagine my life without it. It is my Prozac.

9. My favorite composer is Chopin.

10. I am horrible at sports. I was always one of the last to be picked for sports teams in grade school. I used to cry about it. I'm past it now, thank you very much.

11. I am terrified and ecstatic about having a baby in five short months.

12. I am worried that I am going to be the "mean" parent and Rich is going to get off being the nice one.

13. I love food. And I love reading restaurant reviews.

14. I laugh a lot. People have told me that they like being around me because I make them feel funny. Until they realize that I laugh at everything.

15. I cry a lot too. Just not usually in public.

16. I am pretty good at managing money. I design spreadsheets and pie charts and all of that stuff for our personal finances. It's funny--I've been doing it for years, even when I was in college and didn't really have a lot in the "income" column.

17. I don't really have any blood relatives other than my mother. Everyone else is on the other side of the world and I don't know them well. I have plenty of other non-blood family here, so it's all good.

18. My mother is French. She moved to the U.S. just before I was born. And she just became a U.S. citizen two years ago, which was very exciting for her!

19. My favorite color is red.

20. I lived in the rural South for a few years as a kid. We had a Book-Mobile that used to come around from the local library. I would check out as many books as we were allowed, climb a tree and find a perfect spot to read. I miss that!

21. On a similar note, I used to catch tadpoles using my tea set. Is that not the utter definition of a tomboy?

22. I love science. And learning. I will be a lifelong nerd and I'm okay with it.

23. I am obsessed with paper. Handmade, colorful, stacks of crisp paper. It's really strange I know. But when I found an old stationary shop in London, I thought I was in heaven.

24. I am at a good place in life with love, friendships, and family. That makes me scared.

25. I have been sitting by my phone for the last two hours waiting for THE PHONE CALL to let me know if I am laid off or not. And I just got the call--I'm still employed! Whew! I am happy and yet sad for my friends who won't be getting good news.

No comments: